- Introduction. Three-tier architecture. Graphics and Communication.
- Server-side: PHP, MySQL, templating and separation of concerns (presentation, business logics, presentation logics).
- Sessions and their management. User management: authentication, authorization and permissions.
- Modelling and designing web application with beContent.
- Case study (eg. ecommerce, news portal)
Learning Outcomes (Dublin Descriptors)
On successful completion of this course, the student should
Understading the methodologies and the technologies necessary for the development of web applications.
- Being able to apply the most recent techniques and technologies to the design and development of web applications including the client and server-side in order to achieve a higher degree of usability and trust.
- To evaluate and detect the right technologies and the best interfaces to achieve the design goals.
- Continue learning all the evolving technologies related to the development of web applications
Prerequisites and Learning Activities
The main prerequisites for this course are: the ability to program with an object oriented language (eg. Java or C++), how to design a database, entity/relationship diagrams, SQL language, finally a familiarity with the web ecosystem is important.
The course is organized around theoretical and practical lectures where the techniques will be first illustrated and then demonstrated.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
The exam consists in realizing a project, whose requirements will be distributed during the course and is available in these pages. In some cases, it will be necessary to sustain a written or oral exam.
- D Goodman, Dynamic HTML The Definitive Guide. O'Reilly.
- D Sklar, Learning PHP 5. O'Reilly.
- S Ceri, P Fraternali et al, Progettazione di Dati e Applicazioni per il Web. McGraw-Hill.
- H E Williams, D Lane, Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL. O'Reilly.
Online Teaching Resources
Teaching material available on the external website http://www.lore.com.
Course page updatesThis course page is available (with possible updates) also for the following academic years:
Course information last updated on: 20 febbraio 2014, 09:45