1) Personal Data
Current affiliation: Department of Information Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics (DISIM) & Centre of Excellence DEWS – University of L'Aquila – Italy
- Laurea (five years) degree in Electronic Engineering from University of L'Aquila, achieved on March 31, 1989 - mark 110/110 summa cum laude;
- Doctoral degree in Electronic Engineering from University of L'Aquila - national dissertation on Sept. 29, 1994.
- Assistant professor in Telecommunications at the University of L'Aquila, Italy (1994 – 2002);
- Associate professor in Telecommunications at the University of L'Aquila, Italy (2002 - 2016);
- Achieved the Scientific National Habilitation (ASN) for full professor in Telecommunications in Italy (call of 2012);
- Professor in Telecommunications at the University of L'Aquila, Italy (2016 - ).
Visiting positions and others:
- Research Fellow at Ist. di Elettronica dello Stato Solido (IESS) - National Research Council (CNR) – Rome (1991-92);
- Visiting researcher at University of Victoria, BC, Canada – Wir. Comms. Res. Lab. with Prof. V.K. Bhargava (June-Nov. 1996 and Aug. 1997);
- Many short visits have been exchanged with KTH, others with Supelec, TUB, UCB;
- Junior Engineer at Selenia Spazio Spa, Ground Systems Division in Rome (1989);
- Lieutenant Engineer in the Technical Corp of Aviation Army, Division of TLC and Air Traffic Control (1990).
2) Research activities
Research activities have been almost devoted to radiocommunications and wireless systems, with special emphasis on development of i) theoretical frameworks for performance analysis, ii) algorithmic components and iii) protocol architectures. Theory and engineering of communication systems being the core of research, a cross-disciplinary approach has been pursued since the early stage of research career. At DEWS structured connections with the control and computer engineering communities have developed in the networked embedded systems domain according to the emerging "triple C" (Computing, Communication and Control) paradigm. Major research tracks are as follows.
1. Satellite communication systems and technologies
An early activity has been concerned with development and prototyping of superconducting technologies for millimeter waves radio communications front-ends. Another activity is related to resource management and teletraffic performance evaluation in integrated terrestrial-satellite systems for mobile communications. A more recent activity is concerned with all-digital processing for semi-transparent transponders.
2. Handover algorithms and link quality statistics in land mobile cellular systems
This area has been addressed for many years in 2G/3G systems and has been recently reinforced in the 4G perspective with some major topics:
- development of cross-layer frameworks for joint analysis of handover initiation and execution, that include modelling of handover dwell time and queueing policies;
- novel algorithms for handover initiation, that are based on adaptive and generalized least square estimation of the path loss;
- modelling of interference for evaluation of performance indexes such as statistics of handovers and outages.
3. Multiple access techniques and radio resource management for multimedia wireless systems
This area is concerned with capacity evaluation under optimal resource assignment in spread-spectrum systems for multimedia applications, with the following topics:
- computation of first and second order outage statistics in FH-TDMA and DS-CDMA systems under various settings for channel statistics and power control imperfections;
- optimal power allocation for capacity maximization in multimedia DS-CDMA systems;
- modelling and performance optimization of nested control loops in wireless chains with cross-layer settings.
4. Distributed wireless networks and networked embedded systems
This research area is quite broad and has been almost developed within the Centre of Excellence DEWS along various research lines:
- advanced performance modelling of Impulse Radio UWB systems;
- distributed and cooperative algorithms for source coding and positioning in wireless sensor networks;
- joint control-communication design in networked embedded control systems, with particular emphasis on development of cross layer models for wireless sensor and actuator networks relying on the IEEE 802.15.4 stack;
- performance analysis of cooperative and cognitive communications, whose recent evolution is targeted to address blockage events in millimeter waves systems;
- modeling and advanced implementation of security mechanisms in networked embedded systems, that encompass a novel hybrid criptographic scheme and intrusion detection mechanisms.
3) Scientific titles
- Editor for IEEE Trans. on Communications from 2000 to 2013, for Kluwer Telecommunications Systems from 2006, for Hindawi International Journal of Vehicular Technology from 2012;
- Editor for International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Special Issue "Industrial Control over Wireless Networks" (2008-2009);
- Regular member of the Technical Program Committee in major IEEE conferences and reviewer for major IEEE technical journals;
- Nominated by CNR President to represent Italy in the Commission C of URSI (International Union of Radio Science) in 2016.
- Member of the IEEE (Comm. Society, Inf. Theory Society and Veh. Tech. Society), with Senior membership from 2000.
- Organizer of the Annual National Meeting of Telecommunications (GTTI) in 2004 and 2015;
- Co-organizer of workshops and conferences within european projects;
- Co-organizer of MTNS'06 Mini-symposium on "Distributed decision-making over ad-hoc networks" and special sessions in various conferences;
- Session chair in major conferences;
- Co-author of papers invited or in plenary sessions at IEEE ISWC'99, IEEE ISWC'02, IEEE EMC 2003, IEEE CDC-ECC 2005, ICST 2009, 4th IFAC ADHS 2012;
- Invited speaker at MMT'02, Rennes, June 2002; EU-RUSSIA NESTER Workshop on embedded systems, July 2009; PhysCon 2009, Catania, September 2009; EU concertation meetings; 4th Workshop of COST Action IntelliCIS, Barcelona, June 2011;
- Awarded a fellowship by Fondazione F. Filauro; co-recipient of the Best Application Paper Award at IEEE MASS'05; co-author of the paper that received the Best Student Conference Paper Award from the IEEE Sweden Joint VT-COM-IT Chapter in 2014;
- two papers have been announced in the list of selected Forthcoming Manuscripts of the IEEE Transactions on Communications.
4) Scientific responsibilities in institutions, research projects and technology transfer
- Officer of Commission C (Signals and Communications) for CNR and Italian representative in Commission C of URSI.
- Member of the Executive Committee (2001- ) and Vice Director (2012- ) of DEWS, Centre of Excellence at University of L'Aquila;
- Member of the Executive Committee of CNIT of Italy (2003-2007, 2013- ); Member of the Scientific Committee of CNIT (2008-2012);
- Member of the Executive Committee of Radiolabs Consortium (2006 - );
- Member of the Academic Senate, University of L'Aquila (2015- );
- Co-founder and member of the board of directors of WEST Aquila srl, a spin-off company of the University of L'Aquila that has been operating in the field of wireless networked embedded systems since 2005;
- Member of doctoral committees at Politecnico di Torino, La Sapienza University of Rome, ENSTA Paris, University of Padova, University of L'Aquila, University of Victoria, BC and University of Mid-Sweden;
- Member of selection committee for assistant professorship position at University of Lecce, La Sapienza University of Rome, University of Florence, University of Roma 3;
- Reviewer for research proposals/grant applications at national and international level, e.g. for NSERC Canada;
- Leader of research unit for projects funded by MiUR of Italy: i) Radio access for personal communication systems (1995-1996), ii) PRIN 1997: Variable rate mobile radio systems for multimedia applications (1997-1999), iii) PRIN 2000: CDMA for broadband mobile radio systems with integrated terrestrial and satellite components (2000-2002), iv) PRIN 2010: GREen Tags with ultrawideband identification and localization capabilities (2013-2016);
- Co-proposer, WP leader and member of the Executive Committee of HYCON, NoE in FP6 of EU (2004-2009);
- Co-proposer and responsible of Het. Nets Lab. of Project RIDITT Ricostruire (2012-2015), funded by MISE of Italy;
- Co-proposer and participant of the COST Action IC0806 IntelliCIS (2009-2012);
- Participant to various european projects, e.g. ACTS Mostrain (1996-1997), FP5 IST Columbus (2002-2004), Artemis PRESTO (2011-2014) and CRAFTER (2012-2015), FP7 NoE HYCON2 (2010-2014), ECSEL SAFECOP (2016-2018);
- Responsible/PI in research contracts with industries: 3 with Telit Networks, 1 with Marconi Mobile Access, 1 with Technolabs, 1 with Radiolabs, 4 with Thales, 2 with Selex ES, 1 with Thales Alenia Space and CNIT, 1 Distinguished Agreement with Synopsys Ltd.;
- WP leader in research contracts with industries: 1 with Technolabs, 2 with Radiolabs (1 funded by EDA), 1 with Selex ES.
5) Responsibilities in education
- Thesis advisor of about 200 students, who gained qualified technical positions in the industry, and several Ph.D. Students. Some of them have progressed in academic/research career in first class international institutions;
- Coordinator of agreements for students mobility (some with multiple degree), e.g. with KTH Stockholm, TUB Berlin, UPC Barcellona, IST Lisbon, AGH Krakow, ABB, Ericsson, etc;
- Chair of the Program Committee in Telecommunications Engineering at the University of L'Aquila (2006 - 2015): among others, he has promoted an i) international Path-of-Excellence and ii) definition and implementation of the international Master program in Telecommunications Engineering (2015);
- Teacher for courses in Analysis and processing of signals, Telecommunication Systems and Wireless Communications.
The information is available at the external address http://www.ing.univaq.it/personale/scheda_personale.php?codice=257.
Fortunato Santucci is an author or co-author of more than 200 papers published in international journals or in proceedings of international conferences. The public Google Scholar profile includes a list of publication, while a list of journal papers is provided below.
[J1] “Sistemi VSAT per satelliti EUTELSAT II”, (with F. Martinino and E. Salvatori) Elettronica e Telecomunicazioni , Anno XLI, No. 1, 1992, pp. 21-30.
[J2] “Coherence of Josephson Soliton Oscillators in the Millimeter-Wave Range”, (with M. Cirillo, I. Modena, P. Carelli and R. Leoni) Physics Letters A , Vol. 167, No. 2, 1992, pp. 175-178.
[J3] “Coupling of Long Josephson Junction Oscillators at Millimeter-Wave Frequencies”, (with M. Cirillo, P. Carelli, M.G. Castellano and R. Leoni) IEEE Trans. on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 3, No. 1, March 1993, pp. 2500-2503.
[J4] “Radiation Detection from Fiske Steps in Josephson Junctions above 200 GHz”, (with M. Cirillo, I. Modena, P. Carelli, M.G. Castellano and R. Leoni) Journal of Applied Physics , Vol. 73, No. 12, June 15, 1993, pp. 8637-8640.
[J5] “Application of Superconducting Receivers to Advanced Satellite and Space Communications Systems”, (with F. Ananasso) Space Communications, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1993, pp. 29-36.
[J6] “Traffic Modeling of Integrated Terrestrial-Satellite Systems for Mobile Communications”, (with M. Ruggieri and F. Vatalaro) in Space Communications , Vol. 13, No. 3, 1995, pp. 239-247.
[J7] “A Recursive Algorithm for Calculating Performance of Cellular Networks with Cut-Off Priority”, Electronics Letters, Vol. 3, No. 8, 10th April 1997, pp. 662-664.
[J8] “Design of Handover Procedures for Mobile Cellular Systems Through Performance Charts”, (with M. Ruggieri, D. Giancristofaro and F. Graziosi), Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 5, No. 1, July 1997, pp. 51-73.
[J9] “Dynamical evidence of critical fields in Josephson junctions”, (with M. Cirillo, T. Doderer, S.G. Lachenmann, and N. Grombech-Jensen) Physical Review B, Vol. 56, No. 18, pp. 11 890-11 896, 1 November 1997-II.
[J10] “Modeling of the Handover Dwell Time in Cellular Mobile Communications Systems”, (with M. Ruggieri and F. Graziosi) IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol. , Vol. 47, No. 2, May 1998, pp. 489-498.
[J11] “A Least Squares Path Loss Estimation Approach to Handover Algorithms”, (with N. Benvenuto) IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 48, No. 2, March 1999, pp.437-447.
[J12] “A Multicell Model of Handover Initiation in Mobile Cellular Networks”, (with F. Graziosi, M. Pratesi, and M. Ruggieri) IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 48, No. 3, May 1999, pp.802-814.
[J13] “A Framework for Analyzing the User Membership in Cellular CDMA Networks”, (with W. Huang and V.K. Bhargava) IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 48, No. 3, March 2000, pp. 442-454.
[J14] “A General Analysis of Signal Strength Handover Algorithms with Co-Channel Interference”, (with M. Pratesi, M. Ruggieri and F. Graziosi) IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 48, No. 2, February 2000, pp. 231-241.
[J15] “Distribution of Outage Intervals in Macrodiversity Cellular Systems”, (with F. Graziosi) IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Wireless Communications Series, Vol. 17, No. 11, November 1999, pp 2011-2021.
[J16] “Outage Analysis in Mobile Radio Systems with Generically Correlated Log-Normal Interferers”, (with M. Pratesi, F. Graziosi and M. Ruggieri) IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 48, No. 3, March 2000, pp. 381-385.
[J17] “A QoS-Based Handover Initiation Algorithm for Wireless Systems”, (with F. Graziosi) European Transactions on Telecommunications, Special Issue on Service Quality Control in Multimedia Wireless Networks, Vol. 11, No. 4, July-August 2000, pp. 407-418.
[J18] “Outage Performance with Handover Triggering in Cellular Networks”, (with F. Graziosi, M. Pratesi and M. Ruggieri) Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 16, February 2001, pp. 173-192.
[J19] "A General Correlation Model for Shadow Fading in Mobile Radio Systems", (with F. Graziosi) IEEE Communications Letters, March 2002, pp. 102--104.
[J20] “Performance Evaluation of Packet Mobile Communications through Level Crossing Analysis”, (with F. Graziosi and M. Ruggieri) Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 21, May 2002, pp. 141-162.
[J21] “Power Allocation and Control in Multimedia CDMA Wireless Systems”, (with G. Durastante, F. Graziosi, and C. Fischione), Kluwer Telecommunications Systems, Vol. 23:1,2, May-June 2003, pp. 69-94.
[J22] “Outage Performance of Power Controlled DS-CDMA Wireless Systems with Heterogeneous Traffic Sources", (with C. Fischione and F. Graziosi) Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 24, February 2003, pp. 171-187.
[J23] “Hybrid Control of Networked Embedded Systems”, (with A. Balluchi, L. Benvenuti, S. Engell, T. Geyer, K.H. Johansson, F. Lamnabhi-Lagarrigue, J. Lygeros, M. Morari, G. Papafotiou, A.L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, and O. Stursberg) European Journal on Control, Special issue: Fundamental Issues in Control, Vol. 11, No. 4-5, 2005, 478-508.
[J24] “Generalized Moment Matching for the Linear Combination of Lognormal RVs - Application to Outage Analysis in Wireless Systems”, (with M. Pratesi and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 5, No. 5, May 2006, pp. 1122-1132.
[J25] “The Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Outdoor Channel: From Measurement Campaign to Statistical Modelling”, (with M. Di Renzo, F. Graziosi, R. Minutolo, and M. Montanari) Springer/ACM Journal on Special Topics in Mobile Networking and Applications (MONET) – special issue on ’Ultra Wide Band for Sensor Networks’, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 451–467, August 2006.
[J26] "Location service design and simulation in ad hoc wireless sensor networks", (with F. Graziosi, and S. Tennina) Int. J. Mobile Network Design and Innovation, Vol. 1, Nos. 3/4, pp.208-214, 2006.
[J27] ``Approximation for a Sum of On-Off Log-Normal Processes with Wireless Applications'', (with C. Fischione, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 55, October 2007, pp. 1984--1993; the Abstract was announced among the Forthcoming Manuscripts in the Sept. 2007 TCOM issue.
[J28] “An Exact Framework for Performance Analysis of IR–UWB Systems: The Need for Approximations”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F Graziosi) IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 11, October 2007, pp. 769-771.
[J29] “A Framework for the Analysis of UWB Receivers in Sparse Multipath Channels with Intra-Pulse Interference via Padé Expansion”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 56, No. 4, April 2008, pp. 535—541.
[J30] “A Novel Class of Algorithms for Timing Acquisition of Differential Transmitted Reference (DTR) Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Receivers - Architecture, Performance Analysis and System Design”, (with M. Di Renzo, L.A. Annoni, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 7, No. 6, June 2008, pp. 2368-2387.
[J31] "Distributed and Cooperative Localization Algorithms for WSNs in GPS-less Environments", (with Tennina, M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) The Italian Institute of Navigation (I.I.N.), Issue Theme: Integration of Navigation with Communication and Remote Sensing Applications, No. 188, pp. 70-76, June/July 2008.
[J32] “Approximating the Linear Combination of Log–Normal RVs via Pearson Type IV Distribution for UWB Performance Analysis”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 388-403, February 2009.
[J33] “Further Results on the Approximation of Log-Normal Power Sum via Pearson Type IV Distribution: A General Formula for Log-Moments Computation”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 893-898, April 2009.
[J34] “On the Cumulative Distribution Function of Quadratic-Form Receivers Over Generalized Fading Channels with Tone Interference”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2122-2137, July 2009.
[J35] “A Unified Framework for Performance Analysis of CSI-Assisted Cooperative Communications Over Fading Channels”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 57, No. 9, pp. 2552-2557, September 2009.
[J36] “Smolyak’s Algorithm: A Simple and Accurate Framework for the Analysis of Correlated Log-Normal Power-Sums”, (with M. Di Renzo, L. Imbriglio, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 673-675, September 2009.
[J37] “A Comprehensive Framework for Performance Analysis of Dual-Hop Cooperative Wireless Systems with Fixed-Gain Relays over Generalized Fading Channels”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 5060-5074, October 2009.
[J38] “ESD: A Novel Optimization Algorithm for Positioning Estimation of WSNs in GPS-denied Environments - From Simulation to Experimentation”, (with S. Tennina, M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) International Journal of Sensor Networks, Vol. 6, No. 3/4, pp. 131-156, 2009.
[J39] “Distributed Data Fusion over Correlated Log-Normal Sensing and Reporting Channels: Application to Cognitive Radio Networks”, (with M. Di Renzo, L. Imbriglio, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 12, pp. 5813-5821, December 2009.
[J40] ``Wireless Ventilation Control for Large-Scale Systems: the Mining Industrial Case'', (with E. Witrant; A. D'Innocenzo; G. Sandou; F. Santucci; M. D. Di Benedetto; A. J. Isaksson; K. H. Johansson; S.-I. Niculescu; S. Olaru; E. Serra; S. Tennina; U. Tiberi) International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 226-251, 2010 - Published Online: Jul 16 2009
[J41] Editorial on “Industrial Control over Wireless Networks”, (with M. D. Di Benedetto, K. H. Johansson, and M. Johansson) International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 119-122, 2010 - Published Online: Dec 19, 2009
[J42] “Channel Capacity Over Generalized Fading Channels: A Novel MGF-based Approach for Performance Analysis and Design of Wireless Communication Systems”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 59, No.1, pp. 127-149, January 2010.
[J43] “A Comprehensive Framework for Performance Analysis of Cooperative Multi-Hop Wireless Systems over Log-Normal Fading Channels”, (with M. Di Renzo, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 531-544, February 2010.
[J44] “Performance Analysis and Optimizazion of Tc-DTR UWB Receivers over Multipath Fading Channels with Tone Interference”, (with M. Di Renzo, D. De Leonardis, and F. Graziosi) IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 3076-3095, Sept. 2011.
[J45] “A methodology for design of scalable architectures in software radio networks: A unified device and network perspective”, (with M. Colizza, M. Faccio, and C. Rinaldi) Journal of Signal Processing Systems for Signal, Image, and Video Technology, vol. 73, p. 315-323, 2013.
[J46] “Error Performance of Multi-Antenna Receivers in a Poisson Field of Interferers: A Stochastic Geometry Approach", (with M. Di Renzo, C. Merola, A. Guidotti, and G.E. Corazza) IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2025-2047, May 2013.
[J47] “Dynamic Optimization of Geneeralized Least Squares Handover Algorithms", (with C. Fischione and G. Athanasiou) IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 1235-1249, March 2014.
[J48] “Modeling IEEE 802.15.4 Networks over Fading Channels”, (with P. Di Marco, C. Fischione, and K.-H. Johansson) IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 5366-5381, October 2014.
[J49] "A Middleware Approach for IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless Sensor Networks Security", (with S. Marchesani, L. Pomante, and M. Pugliese) EAI Endorsed Transactions on Ubiquitous Environments, Vol. 2, No. 5,DOI: 10.4108/ue.2.5.e1, July 2015.
[J50] "Aging Aware Random Channel Access for Battery-Powered Wireless Networks", (with R. Valentini and M. Levorato) IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, 2016.
[J51] "Backscattering UWB/UHF hybrid solutions for Multi-Reader Multi-Tag passive RFID Systems", (with R. Alesii, P. Di Marco, P. Savazzi, R. Valentini, and A. Vizziello) EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems, May 2016.