I m author and co-author of more than 100 international and national scientific peer-reviewed papers. My scientific production counts 269 citations and 10 as Hirsch index (source Scopus), 540 citations and 12 as Hirsch index (source Google Scholar), last access October 8, 2020. My research focuses on four main research area, intertwined around the main one: the Human-Computer Interaction. Further fields of interest: Technology Enhanced Learning, Knowledge Management, and Multimedia Retrieval Systems.
Specifically, (1) Human-Computer Interaction is one of the largest scientific research areas due to its multidisciplinary nature. It contains, among others, cognitive sciences, psychology, ergonomic science and computer science. My personal contribute to HCI is especially dedicated to Interaction Design and Information Visualization; Interaction design deals with the design activities between human and machines, in particular from the methodological viewpoint. In this regard, I also studied innovative methodologies dedicated to deaf people and fragile users in general. Other papers have been dedicated to Visual Design interfaces and usability studies. Information Visualization deals with the efficient techniques for data visualization; this task becomes more complex over time, due to the increasing quantity of Internet data and in general to the different nature of data. In this context, I studied geographic maps visualization techniques, querying visualization methodologies, and data visualization in emergencies and work overload. Moreover, I reported on the problem of visualization temporal event “a la Allen”. Finally, I studied the visualization of ontologies.
(2) Technology Enhanced Learning: my interest in this area stemmed from the e-LIS and LODE projects, and it increases in the TERENCE project. The aspects I dealt with are mainly methodological; on the other hand, I am also interested in the usability evaluation design aspects. In TEL systems were analysed in the specific case of deaf users, while in TEL systems have been used as silent reading support for children. To design graphical user interfaces it is mandatory to have in-depth knowledge about the involved users. To evaluate a TEL system it is necessary to evaluate its efficacy from the psycho-pedagogical viewpoint and its SW usability, as well as the final user satisfaction. I have explored these aspects and disseminated them across the TEL community.
(3) Knowledge Management: nowadays, the knowledge management of (big) data is a challenge. In Mm first contribution in this direction, data are represented by water leakage. I also drew attention on the knowledge management of Disaster Management Systems, as in the EagleVox project. Currently, I’m dealing with temporal data extracted by embedded systems architectures and open-answer questions. Regarding Ontology Management, when, in Computer Science, the knowledge is represented by ontologies, it is crucial to support users in their social building. In that case, the ontology management is supported by the OPAL (Object, Process, Actor, Language) conceptual schema. Finally, in managing the OPAL conceptual schema, I also investigated the possibility to define ontologies via business processes. The Business Process Modeling Notation has been then destructured and re-defined via OPAL schemas (Business Process Modeling Management).
(4) Multimedia Retrieval System efficiently extracts data (e.g., text) from multimedia; Image Retrieval Systems deal with images, Text Retrieval Systems deal with text, and Multimedia Retrieval Systems deal with a combination of information. If the retrieval technique is based on “primitive” feature of information, the multimedia retrieval systems is a Content-based one; differently, it is a Semantics-based one if the used technique for retrieving information is based on semantic information. In this context, Content-based Image Retrieval systems for raster images are quite famous instead of CBIR systems for vector images; I validated one of these systems, within the 2D cartoon production. Thinking on cartoonist I refined that CBIR building a prototype allowing the querying by the sketch and also offering the possibility for the querying by example. Subsequently, the retrieval techniques have been improved in precision and recall and, the system is finally re-engineered obtaining VISTO (Vector Image Search TOol). Moreover, the Semantic Web is the Web enriched by the semantics of information. In the SEWASIE project, I worked on a Query Tool dedicated to information retrieval. The idea was to support users in building a conjunctive query, showing the main retrieved results. Finally, regarding Semantics-based Multimedia Retrieval Systems for Semantic Dictionaries, I dealt with this type of MRSs within the e-LIS project, I developed a visual querying interface, to support users in building the LIS sign to be retrieved and translated in the Italian language. This system is a Semantics-based Multimedia Retrieval one since it retrieves information from an archive of multimedia LIS data composed of images, videos and text. A LIS sign has been realized, de facto, as an ontology, mainly composed of its main characteristics: configuration, orientation, location and movement.
- March 2016 – today. Scientific collaboration with the Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale, University of Roma “La Sapienza”(DIAG). This National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced several scientific papers and led to the “International Symposium on Learning Analytics” organized in Salerno (Italy) in July 2018 and in Paris (France) in July 2019.
- February 2016 – today. Scientific collaboration, as co-founder, with TetaLab (Technology Enhanced Treatment for Asd Lab). The TetaLab is a multimedia research laboratory of the University of L’Aquila based on the cooperation among: Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche Ap- plicate e Biotecnologiche (DISCAB), Department of Engineering Computer Science and Math- ematics (DISIM), and Centro Regionale di Riferimento per l’Autismo dell’Abruzzo (CRRA). Researchers are dealing with studies on ICT for assessment and treatment of Autism Spec- trum Disorder. This NATIONAL collaboration produced several scientific papers and led to a project focuses on Applicazioni innovative di Realt`a Virtuale e Aumentata per persone con una condizione dello spettro autistico (ASC)” – CIG 7151860D90.
- January 2014 – today. Scientific collaboration with the “Bioinformatics, Intelligent Systems and Educational Technology (BISITE)” laboratory, Universidad de Salamanca (Spain). This laboratory deals with intelligent applications, Technology Enhanced Learning, Emotional Systems, IoT, Industry 4.0, Smart Cities, Smart Grids, Disaster Management Systems e E-Healthcare. In particular, within this INTERNATIONAL collaboration, I’m designing, developing, and evaluating a device to self-evaluate the rate of audiometry; the system is under evaluation both in Italy and in Spain.
- May 2012 – today. Scientific collaboration with LaCAM (Language and Communication across Modalities Laboratory) at ISTC (Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology) for TEL systems dedicated to deaf people. In particular, this collaboration is considered INTERNATIONAL since I personally worked with prof. Marc Marschark (RIT – Rochester Institute of Technology). This collaboration has been produced several papers and led to the project proposal DISSCO (Do It Smart: Socialise, Collaborate, Play, Assess, Recommend And Design), submitted to H2020.
- May 2012 – today. Scientific collaboration with two groups of the University of L’Aquila: (1) the research group denominated IDEA (Interaction DEsign and Applications) of Engineering Computer Science and Mathematics Department and (2) the research group of information engineering for Health-care of Dipartimento di medicina clinica, sanità pubblica, scienze della vita e dell’ambiente. The main activities dealing with Technology Enhanced Learning, Health- care and Disaster Management systems. this National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced different scientific papers and lead several international projects (e.g., TERENCE) as well as the international multiconference PAAMS2020 will be held in L’Aquila in June 2020 (https://www.paams.net/ ).
- March 2009 – March 2012. Scientific collaboration with the Research Centre for Knowledge and Data (KRDB) Department of Free University of Bozen, within the LODE and LODE Caritro projects. this National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced different scientific papers and lead the FP7 TERENCE project proposal. In particular, I’m also dealt with (1) the design and development of a visual interface for annotating TIMEML stories; (2) studies on visualization techniques for temporal events “´a la Allen”.
- March 2009 – March 2012. Scientific collaboration with Information Systems Research Centre (CeRSI) of University LUISS – Guido Carli (Roma), for different research activities, specially dedicated to the Health-care of elderly people (e.g., European AAL project, HOPES). this National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced different scientific papers and, in particular, (1) the visual interface design for elderly people; (2) the usability design study for that visual interface.
- April 2008 – July 2010. Scientific collaboration with “Laboratory for Enterprise Knowledge and Systems” (LEKS) at IASI (CNR - Roma). this National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced different scientific papers and results on the complex data management; within the European project COIN - COllaboration and Interoperability for networked enterprises (Integrated research project under the Seventh Framework Programme of the European Community), I produced: (1) the analysis of knowledge management portal; (2) a graphical visual design interface for building ontologies; (3) a study dedicated to the ontology browsing challenges. Within the FIRB TOCAI.IT project - Knowledge-oriented technologies for enterprise aggregation on the Internet, I produced: (1) a graphical user interfaces for business process editing; (2) a usability analysis of the BPMN portal; (3) a study dedicated to visualization techniques for business process browsing. The collaboration also lead the EagleVox project proposal dedicated to the social support in dynamic community bonding during emergency situations.
- January 2007 – December 2008. Scientific collaboration with Accademia Europea di Bolzano (EURAC RESEARCH, Bozen Italy), within the e-LIS project. this National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced different scientific papers and: (1) the design of the bilingual electronic dictionary LIS-Italian graphical user interface; (2) a study on the deaf people support in building LIS signs, i.e., the querying support tool; (3) different usability studies; (4) the evaluation of that querying support tool. The collaboration also leads the LODE and LODE-Caritro project proposals.
- May 2002 – May 2005. Scientific collaboration with the Department of Computer Science and Systems University of Rome, “La Sapienza”, within the European project SEWASIE (IST-2001-34825), dealing with an ontology-based information system. this National and INTERNATIONAL collaboration produced different scientific papers and: (1) analysis design and evaluation of a user interface for querying and annotating ontologies; (2) a study on visualization methods dedicated to semantic relations among data; (3) evaluation of querying and mapping tools of ontologies.
Scientific and Organizational Activities
- Technical Program Chair: 10th International Conference in Methodologies and Intelligent Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (MIS4TEL 2020).
- Paper and Proceedings Chair: 9th e 7th International Conference in Methodologies and In- Intelligent Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (MIS4TEL 2017,2019).
- ScientificCommitteeMember: (1) SIGCHITALY-Special Interest Group on Computer- Human Interaction dellACM; (2) AICA - Associazione Italiana per l’Informatica e il Calcolo Automatico; (3) Commissione Gruppo di lavoro ICT dell’Ordine degli Ingegneri dellaProvin- cia dell’Aquila (4) European Network HiPEAC - High Performance and Embedded Archi- tecture and Compilation; (5) ASLERD - no-profit interdisciplinary, democratic, scientific- professional Association that recognizes the relevance of ’Smart’ learning ecosystems, and more in general ofLearning.
- ScientificProgramCommitteeMember: (1) International Conference in Methodologies and Intelligent Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (MIS4TEL); (2) International Conference on Web-based Learning (ICWL); (3) International Symposium on Emerging Technologies for Education; (4) European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS); (5) International Conference on Computer Supported Education (CSEDU); (6) International Symposium Learning Analytics; (7) Workshops on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages (LREC2006); (8) Workshop of Evidence-Based Technology Enhanced Learning (EBTEL); (9) Workshop on Learning Technology for Education in Cloud (LTEC 2012); (10) Biannual Conference of the Italian SIGCHI Chapter (CHITALY); (11) Conference of the Italian Chapter of AIS(ITAIS).
- SteeringCommitteeMember: (1) International Symposium Learning Analytics ; (2) International Conference in Methodologies and Intelligent Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (MIS4TEL); (3) Workshop of Evidence-Based Technology Enhanced Learning (EBTEL).
- Invited Speaker for Tutorial: biannual Conference of the Italian ACM SIGCHI Chapter (CHITALY 2007): Tutorial title- “Information Visualization to visually support the ontology querying task”, Padova, 28 Giugno,2007.
- Speaker: ODBASE2003; HCI2003; ODBASE2004; AVI2004; ECAI2004; HCI2005; AVI2006; SWAP2006; WEBIST2006; KES2007; WEBIST2007; HCI2007; CHI2007; IWWUA2007; AISC2007; AVI2008; BPMS2008; EE2008; ICOAE2008; IUI2008; ICCE2009; MBR2009; HCI2009; EDMEDIA2010; IESA2010; KEOD2010; MCES2010; OKM2010; VLHCC 2010; IADIS2011; DEG2011; EBTEL2011; EBTEL2012; IADIS2012; ICALT2012; PDSG2012; TEFA2013; SEBD2013; ECTEL2013; EBTEL2013; ALPIS2013; HCI2014; IUI2014; MIS4TEL2014; MIS4TEL2015; HUFU2015; MIS4TEL2017; MIS4TEL2018; MIS4TEL2019; SLERD2019; CSEDU2019, HCITALY2005; CHITALY2008; AICA2011; CHITALY2011; ITAIS2011; DIDAMATICA2011; CHITALY2013; ITAIS2013; ITAIS2014; CHITALY2015; ITAIS2015;PALX2015.
- Scientific Reviewer: MultimediaTools and Applications (Springer); Computers in Human Behavior (Elsevier); Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems (IEEE), Journal on Efficiency and Responsibility in Education and Science; Interaction Design and Architectures; International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning (InderScience Pub.); Interna- tional Journal of Distance Education Technologies (IGI Global); ODBASE2003;AVI2004;HCITALY2005; LREC2006; EKAW2008; ER2008; ER2009; ITAIS2009; AICA2010,11,12,13; SEBD2013,14,15; STIPS2017; ECTEL2015.
- Session Chair : HCI International; MIS4TEL; CSEDU; La@IV; LREC2006; EBTEL; EBU- TEL; LTEC; CHITALY; ITAIS;PALX.
- Local Co-Chair: 18th International MultiConference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (PAAMS2020). I am in charge of the organization of this international multiconference which will be held in L’Aquila in June 2020.
- General Chair: 8th International Conference in Methodologies and Intelligent Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (MIS4TEL 2018). I have been involved in organizational activitiesofthisinternationalconferenceheldinToledoinJune2018.
- Symposium Chair: 1st e 2nd International Symposium on Learning Analytics (LA@IV), co-located with 22th e 23th International Conference Information Visualisation (http://iv.csites.fct.unl.pt/).
- WhorkshopandTutorialChair: 26th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2018 – http://ecis2018.eu/) – Beyond Digitization Facets of Socio-Technical Change (June 23rd-28th 2018 / Portsmouth, UK). Activities have been carried out in cooperation with two colleagues of mine, Amany Elbanna (Royal Holloway, UK) and Tammi Sinha (Winchester University, UK).
- Sponsor Chair: biannual Conference of the ACM Italian SIGCHI Chapter (CHITALY2013; CHITALY2015).
- Student Volunteer : ECAI2006, the biennial European Conference on ArtificialIntelligence, heldinRivadelGarda(Italy)inSeptember2006.
- ScientificSecretary: HumanComputerInteractionItalyConference(HCITALY2005); within this edition, I not only supported the organizational aspects but I also took care of conference proceedings.
Editorial Board Activities
- Editor : (1) Methodologies and intelligent systems for technology-enhanced learning Proceedings - Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing - Springer Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London; (2) International Workshop Proceedings on Evidence-Based Technology Enhanced – Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing - Springer Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London.
- Editorial Board Member : (1) JOURNAL INTERNAZIONALE (ERIES - Journal on Efficiency and Responsibility in Education and Science). The journal is open-access, double- blind-peer-reviewed and fully refereed scientific.
- Invited Guest Editor : (1) TEL4U - Special Issues of IxDA Journal - Interaction Design and Architectures; N. 23, Winter 2014; (2) Special Issue on Evidence and User-Based Technology Enhanced Learning - International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning (IJTEL) - InterScience-Publishers of distinguished academic, scientific and professional journals.
- Best Conference Paper: VIII Conference of the Italian Chapter of AIS Information Systems: a crossroads for Organization, Management, Accounting and Engineering LUISS Guido Carli University, Roma (Italy), October 2011.
- National Research Grant : Don Giulio Tarra: ricerche e studi per la sordit`a, for the book titled “Insegnare agli studenti sordi - apprendimento e sordit`a aspetti cognitivi, linguistici, socio motivi, tecnologici e scolastici”.
- National Research Grant: SIR VISUTECA project. University of L’Aquila (Italy) funded the project after the positive evaluation of the VISUTECA project by the MIUR.
- Participation Grant: grant to participate in the Summer School on “Multimedia digital libraries Machine learning and cross-modal technologies for access and retrieval”.
- 2012 – 2014. Member of “Collegio del Dottorato in Ingegneria e Scienze dell’Informazione”, University of L’Aquila (Italy).
- 2018 – today. Supervisor of Federica Caruso, Gabriella D’Andrea and Vincenzo Stoico PhD in Information and Communication Technology (ICT), University of L’Aquila (Italy), XXXIV cycle.
Technological Transfer Activities
- Co-Founder of ILab-AQ: ILab-AQ is a laboratory dedicated to ICT students of the University of L’Aquila (Italy) who need a co-working space to conceive, structuring and presenting the new business idea.
- Co-Founder of Project Innovation Srl: Start-up. I am responsible for the technological transfer of UX e UI methodologies from the academic world to the business world.
- Intellectual Property Rights: GEO PRINT SW, L’Aquila, Italy, December 15, 2017 (number 012086, D011182) by Project Innovation Srl.