Computer Science and Operations Research
The Computer Science and Operations Research area is composed of about 27 faculties, working in the scientific disciplines of computer science and operations research, and several post-doc and PhD students.
The main investigated research areas are:
- Software and Architecture Engineering, with special emphasis on the architectural design and verification of complex software systems, model-driven engineering and web applications;
- Autonomous Agents and Artificial Intelligence, Answer Set Programming, Machine Learning, and Heuristic Programming, with particular attention devoted to knowledge representation in non-monotonic reasoning and preference handling. Applications: mobile e-commerce, smart energy management, hybrid systems, and robotic planning;
- Automata, Formal Languages and Stringology and their applications to data compression and bioinformatics;
- Theory and Applications of Algorithms, data structures and use of computational complexity, graph theory and game theory for the optimization, performance evaluation and determination of efficient solutions in distributed systems, autonomous social networks and communication networks;
- Operations Research Methods and Applications, with the study of solution methods for combinatorial optimization and integer linear programming and their application to the design and management of telecommunications networks, manufacturing systems and IT infrastructures.